Planning future games

roleplaysucks
Level 11

Re: Planning future games

Postby roleplaysucks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Good luck with that! I have had roughly zero interest in the last two non-D&D games I proposed

Thank you very much for your good luck wishes :mrgreen: you are too kind!

I'm still going to try my luck though.....

Anyone fancy some new games??

All flesh must be eaten?? Have plans to run either a Dungeons & Zombies game (fantasy setting) or A fist full of Zombies game (Western setting)

Ironclaw I have new ideas for this random furry game

Chuck me some feedback guys so I know this mike is on will you!
"Dont mess with Roleplaysucks, he's a lunatic!!" - Megatron
"Roleplaysucks beat me in a tiddly-winks game once....true bass ass!!"- Batman
"Even I'm scared of Roleplaysucks!!" - Chuck Norris

rabindranath72
Level 5

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 am

roleplaysucks wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:Good luck with that! I have had roughly zero interest in the last two non-D&D games I proposed

All flesh must be eaten?? Have plans to run either a Dungeons & Zombies game (fantasy setting) or A fist full of Zombies game (Western setting)

roleplaysucks wrote:

You are more than welcome! :D
It was a bit of a bummer personally, as I spent a lot of time preparing the games. And preparing for a game which is not run is NOT fun. Especially when you have work and a family, free time is a luxury. :(
It would be useful if the people who mostly play at the club expressed their opinions on what they want to play, so the usual GMs could at least gauge interest prior to proposing a game.
I will probably return at the club in January for another round of proposals. If it doesn't work, well, I think I am leaving the hobby for good.

ColinBuckler
Level 20

Postby ColinBuckler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Antonio,

I am not sure why your games have been unpopular - maybe its a marketing issue? If you were comming to the club every week you could "sell" your new game to people in your group and others.

The other thing is that some games seem more fashionable than others (such as d20) - I also think part ofthe problem when you were trying to run d100/Cthulhu were the key people who might have been interested were not at the club due to just having a baby (still no excuse Gez - you should have brought the little 'un and started them off young).

Alternatively, it seemed to work well when you posted stuff on the web site - very much like Ant's "The Empire" game and Lewis's "Corwyn" games. Post an introduction, give a bit of background, try and hook players in. Perhaps you could also do is run a taster game during a break week and try and get people interested that way.

At the moment, there are no games scheduled for the new year - we will be starting back in January 2013 on a Break Week. Also there is some confusion regarding CyberPunk game that is currently running at the club as we believe Brodie has had to swop shifts at the last minute - so there might be an opportunity to run a taster for a session or two this side of Christmas.

The other problem seems to exist is the returning to a game issue - it is a nightmare to get the same players back around the table due to playing at a games club where people seem to jump games on a regular basis. With this in mind you might want to write the campaign/story which allows players to duck in/out for different sessions.

The other thing is groups are getting too large (7 and sometimes 8 players) and we therefore need to split to a 4th group and therefore we do need more regular GM's. Part of the problem is ongoing campaigns (e.g. Corwyn) have established players who have invested time in their characters - we need to enforce that the ideal group size is 5 players in any new game starting.

5 players allows for in d20 the 4 core class mechanics (fighter/spellcaster/healer/thief) and 1 spare. Additionally all CR's in d20 are based on a group of 4 characters.

...and this is without mentioning how disrubtive too many players can be regarding the noise.
Colin Buckler
Committee Member

Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be.
Rush - Losing It

rabindranath72
Level 5

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi Colin,
you are right, there is definitely a marketing problem, in the sense of "what people really likes." The game I advertised previously to the d100 game was the d20 Conan game; it wasn't D&D, but it was d20. I posted quite a bit of stuff here, but again no takers (except Stephen, God bless him!) I can see why the Conan setting is not widely known, but I supposed Cthulhu would be somewhat better known. And AD&D Dragonlance got an even more extensive production of material, yet we know how it went (bad idea on my part relying on having the same group for more than one cycle of weeks!)
Obviously I can't fault anyone for not liking this game, or that game, but it leaves me with a bitter taste nonetheless. It's apparent that there is a huge skew in favour of d20 D&D in the gamers population at the club, which is probably hard if not impossible to balance with DMs not wanting to run d20 D&D. I am certainly not contrary to running a d20 D&D game myself, but my thought was that there is already plenty of DMs for that.

ColinBuckler
Level 20

Postby ColinBuckler » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Tiddy,

You could always print your own - there are loads of choices available. Go google "free calendar".

Alternatively, I'll have a look and see if I can get some kind of event scheduling system up and working on the site. Maybe link it to a google/MS live calandar or something...
Colin Buckler
Committee Member

Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be.
Rush - Losing It

Lewis
Epic Level 25
Location: Secret Lair, in a cavern somewhere beneath Telford.

Re: Planning future games SPYCRAFT/STARGATE?

Postby Lewis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Well, I'd love to play Tom's Ironclaw again, and I am in no way furry <takes off squirrel costume>

Whilst I enjoy running The Chronicles of Corwyn, and have plans to take the current group battling the evil Vanguard well into 2013, I would like to run something different. Especially as I'm also running d20/D&D Forgotten Realms in Telford.

I have previously run both Top Secret/SI and Spycraft games. Apart from the infamous Spycraft: Mercenaries, these have been fairly short campaigns. I'd like to run a longer campaign, either for Spycraft or maybe even Stargate: SG-1 (same rules system as Spycraft).

This would be either after I've completed the current campaign arc in Corwyn, or slotted in in-between blocks of Corwyn.

Of course, what I really want to do is go back to running horror. But seeing as I lose friends and make grown men wet themselves in fear [both true, sadly !] when I run it properly, perhaps that is not a good idea for a club setting.

Any comments?

Playing: Telford: Dark Heresy.
Running: Cannock: Legends of Corwyn/D&D, Telford: Forgotten Realms: Heroes of Faerûn/D&D.
Prepping: Chill (modern day horror) Tales From The Loop (1980s sci-fi/horror)

roleplaysucks
Level 11

Postby roleplaysucks » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Sign me up for Spycraft/stargate, love the system!

Ironclaw it is then!
First game i shall plan to run!

Anyone interested, remember the most important rule of Ironclaw.....no D20's!!

Dust off your D12's too, garantee they'll get used!
"Dont mess with Roleplaysucks, he's a lunatic!!" - Megatron
"Roleplaysucks beat me in a tiddly-winks game once....true bass ass!!"- Batman
"Even I'm scared of Roleplaysucks!!" - Chuck Norris

Lewis
Epic Level 25
Location: Secret Lair, in a cavern somewhere beneath Telford.

Postby Lewis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:23 am

Would be good to run/play Spycraft again.

I haven't decided on what exactly I would run. The top options would be:

Stargate: SG-1 (set around season 2 of the TV series and featuring 4 to 6 PCs as the SG-2 team)

An off-the-shelf, official Spycraft espionage campaign (modern day)

A Special Forces campaign set in the Falklands War/Guerra del Atlántico Sur of 1982.

Molehunt! - i.e. ressurect Spycraft: Mercenaries (the big problems with this being that it would soak up several potential GMs, and is probably only worth doing if/when Pete comes back, so that we'd have 5 surviving players)

All bar the Mercenaries are probably OK for under 16's to play in (the Special Forces game could even be educational), but parents would have to agree. To my mind there is something potenitally more problematic having a violent game set in a believable modern-day world than a fantastical make-believe one. One could argue that getting children to act out killing an Argentinian (for example) is inherently more worrying than allowing them to pretend to kill a dragon.

Shall I knock up some campaign outlines for all these and put it to a vote?

Playing: Telford: Dark Heresy.
Running: Cannock: Legends of Corwyn/D&D, Telford: Forgotten Realms: Heroes of Faerûn/D&D.
Prepping: Chill (modern day horror) Tales From The Loop (1980s sci-fi/horror)

nathanluna
Level 2

Postby nathanluna » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:03 pm

i would like to either carry on with cyberpunk or run Airship Pirates for the next set

Jester
Level 9

Postby Jester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:03 pm

After returning to the club after a slight absence, I have noticed that most of the next set games are discussed and planned during the normal games run, so if your not around and showing your skills as a player then a lot of the other players will not join a game run but a none player.... So I plan on running a could of games next year but more importantly playing in other GM games.

So a shout out to all GM's play some of the other games, bring up your games cred, then the rest of us will crowd into your games. If anyone feels that this is directed it them, its not, but it could mean you may need to take heed!!!!

I am happy to discuss anyone's query about games on the forum or at the club.

I am the happy looking bloke at the back - Gez. ;)
If all about you are losing their heads.... maybe your the one holding the axe!!

Return to “RPG General Discussion”