Planning future games

rabindranath72
Level 5

Planning future games

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:30 am

Hi all,
reading Lewis' post about his future plans, I thought it might perhaps be a good idea for all the usual GMs to state what are their (rough) plans for the future. This could be helpful for many reasons:

1) It gives time to the GMs to plan. While Tiddy's idea of one-month planning is good for one game, that's a quite limited "event horizon" especially for GMs who would like to run a potentially long campaign.

2) It helps gauge players' interest in an idea. It's useless to plan something if there is no player interest. Since there might also be a sort of player selection bias, as Lewis pointed out, due to some games not being fit for children, it helps knowing how many children are already busy playing something else (we don't want to leave anyone out.)

3) A GM might "burn out"/overdose on some games. Since I have been at the club, it seems the lion's share is taken by D&D 3e, and I might easily see some players/GMs being fed up. This definitely impacts the quality of the games, both from the GM and the players' point of view.

So what do you think? Is this something the committee could discuss?

Cheers,
Antonio

Lewis
Epic Level 25
Location: Secret Lair, in a cavern somewhere beneath Telford.

Re: Planning future games

Postby Lewis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Just to say, I agree with the points Antonio has raised here.

I am indeed concerned about possible burnout (of me - as a GM) specifically with regard to D&D 3.5, of which I'm running two campaigns.

Playing: Telford: Dark Heresy.
Running: Cannock: Legends of Corwyn/D&D, Telford: Forgotten Realms: Heroes of Faerûn/D&D.
Prepping: Chill (modern day horror) Tales From The Loop (1980s sci-fi/horror)

Varlician

Postby Varlician » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:29 pm

I thought we were set for the next set of 5?
And personally, i'd rather only play 3.5 as i come to realize recently that i really like the system more than any other.

That said, i agree that sometimes having the kids in a game can be awkward, for example, the game i'm running now, it's actually meant to be a lot darker than i'm currently running it, but it would not be fair on any of the kids to say they can't play in it - so i just changed how i'm running it.

I know that i want to keep the game i'm running now as a long term campaign, but i'm quite happy to run it in set's of 5 weeks - although this time around i think i may be running two blocks, which is fine by me.

I understand also the point about burning out on a system. I'm quite happy to play in any number of 3.5 games, but i find that if i'm running more than one, i tend to get fed up with running.

Lewis
Epic Level 25

Postby Lewis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Aw crap, I think there's been a slight miscommunication on my part. To clarify, I'm NOT asking for ANY of the following (and I didn't think anyone else was):

1) Anyone else has to stop running or playing D&D 3.5 or any other system - my comments were based on me running two 3.5 campaigns at the same time over a long period - I will eventually get bored of the system and want to run something else.

2) Change the current 5-week campaigns + 1-week break cycle - honestly, I think it's fine.

3) Anyone to be excluded from discussions.

Actually I specifically didn't want a discussion about the next set of games or the six-weekly cycle or anything. If you look at what I posted, what I was asking was for people who like to play in my games to let me have some feedback on what they would like me to run once the current major plotline in Corwin ends - sometime between now and Autumn 2013. My apologies for not being absolutely 100% clear, but I really didn't anticipate that this would come across as: "We have to have yet another chat about future games on Sunday, forget the 5 week blocks, break weeks and maximum numbers... Mr X isn't allowed to contribute. We're overdoing D&D3.5 at the club. Mr. X can't run his game 'cos Lewis says so...", etc.

Sorry!!

If you don't play in my games (or want to) then there was nothing in my posts aimed at you. Perhaps a forum board wasn't the best place to ask this question, as it seems to have given entirely the wrong impression. I just thought it would save time on Sunday and also open it up to other people who aren't playing at the same table as me currently, but would like to play in my games in future.

:(

Yes, I know Summer/Autumn 2013 is a long way off. The reason I am asking now is that I like to plan ahead as a GM. If The Chronicles of Corwin is to continue, I'll want to be working plot elements into the current stories that relate to where we are going, so that EPIC Corwin feels more like a natural progression of the same stories and not something bolted on as an afterthought.

Running: Cannock: Legends of Corwyn/D&D, Telford: Forgotten Realms: Heroes of Faerûn/D&D.

rabindranath72
Level 5

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 pm

I can't speak for the others, but I didn't get the impression you were implying any of 1), 2) or 3) above. Neither was I implying any of the above, though your comments spurred some thoughts on the general long-term planning of games to avoid DM burnout and to allow DMs willing to do so to run "darker" or "kid unfriendly" games by making sure that some other games are run at the same.

Varlician

Postby Varlician » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Gotta say, i didn't get that impression either Lewis :) Just wanted to add my bit in to clarify really that i didn't think we need another talk this week.

blackknight
Level 5

Postby blackknight » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:27 pm

I too did not feel as though I had no choices, I also love the 3.5 system and would like to play more in the future. When I come to continue my game I will be happy to have the kids in as it is a pre-writen game and has little dark content. If I do that then the GM's are free to join in a game of kill the the GM sorry blacksands.
When the battle looks lost RUN

Lewis
Epic Level 25

Postby Lewis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Well, thanks for the comments, guys. I'm was feeling quite dumb and bad, thinking that I must have accidentally said something really stupid to have upset people like that. :?

I can only repeat I'm very sorry and I was genuinely asking what people wanted to do in my games, long term. That's all. Honestly, I didn't have any sort of hidden agenda. I'm still struggling to understand what I said/wrote that got so mangled. I'm not quite sure how to ask questions like this in future. I thought the forum would be a better bet than interrupting games and trying to talk to everyone individually. However, obviously, it has the potential for major misunderstanding. Perhaps because it is lacking the face-to-face element?

I was looking for a way to let anyone who wants to play in my games to comment, not just current players. Anyway, my bad.

Varlician

Postby Varlician » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:46 pm

You have nothing to appologize for Lewis. I understood what you were trying to convey in your message :) And i can't personally see how it could be mis-interpreted. That said, perhaps someone did and you are right in that its easy for things to get misconstrued without the face to face factor.

I still stand by the forums being an excellent way to plan future games and much prefer it to a 30 min to 45 min talk :)

nathanluna
Level 2

Postby nathanluna » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:12 pm

personaly i would be happy to see less D20 use at the club. Its not just D&D3.5 its pathfinder too, when the most of the games on offer are D&D3.5 it feel restrictive and to get a none 3.5 game i have to either play traveller (im not a big fan of hard sci fi) or run a game. A lot of the games i run i really want to play not run but to see them at the club at all i have no choice.

(and that folks is how to become even more unpopular in a single paragraph)

Return to “RPG General Discussion”