CORWYN - PHASE 3

Lewis
Epic Level 25
Location: Secret Lair, in a cavern somewhere beneath Telford.

CORWYN - PHASE 3

Postby Lewis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:31 pm

CORWYN PHASE 3

Yes, I know we're still playing Corwyn Phase 2 ('Legends of Corwyn'), in fact we're about 75% of the way through. However, I've already started planting little seeds during Phase 2 that will blossom into ... something... in Phase 3.

So, although there's no urgency, I want to start gathering ideas for Phase 3, and making a note of them for future reference once I get into serious planning.

For example, what rules system shall we use, D&D 3.5, 5th Ed, or something else? Will there be another big time jump, or not? If not, will we keep the same characters or start over with new ones? If new ones, shall we drop the alignment restrictions? Have the new races, organisations and character classes worked?

Whatever we decide, I don't plan to run Phase 3 until long after we've finished 'Legends of Corwyn'. I want time to run Chill and/or Tales From The Loop. I'd also very much like Mark Evans to run a Prequel campaign that I could play in ('cos prequels are always awesome, right?).

I have a 'big bad' in mind for Phase 3, and even a working title, but as the latter's not set in stone, I'm not sure it would help to share it.

Anyway, let me have your thoughts. This invitation is open to all players at the Cannock club, not just those currently playing in 'Legends of Corwyn' (although, those who have played before will get first refusal for places in Phase 3, especially if we have continuing characters).

Playing: Telford: Star Wars.
Running: Cannock: Legends of Corwyn/D&D, Telford: Forgotten Realms: Heroes of Faerûn/D&D.
Prepping: Spycraft: Deniables

Lewis
Epic Level 25
Location: Secret Lair, in a cavern somewhere beneath Telford.

Re: CORWYN - PHASE 3

Postby Lewis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:25 am

Actually, I suppose I should really have started with a more basic question - when 'Legends of Corwyn' wraps up, do we even want a 'Phase 3'? Or would you prefer that I devote my energies to a different genre/game? Such as; Traveller, Spycraft, Tales From The Loop, Chill, or whatever?

Playing: Telford: Star Wars.
Running: Cannock: Legends of Corwyn/D&D, Telford: Forgotten Realms: Heroes of Faerûn/D&D.
Prepping: Spycraft: Deniables

ColinBuckler
Level 20

Re: CORWYN - PHASE 3

Postby ColinBuckler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Oooooh.... Corwyn - Phase 3 !!!! .... and we get to provide suggestions!

The rule system should be one that you are happy with, be that 3.5, Pathfinder or 5E. you will get players regardless. If you do change rule system then that could be explained by a cataclysmic event which distorts magic in some ways (back story opportunity?). Or we could equally just recreate the character.

I thought that I would not like it as much jumping forward in time - but I was wrong - its been great seeing the world and how it has changed through time and how the followers perceive the legendary characters. Good choice.

The story is a big part of the game and thats the part I enjoy the most rather than a bland dungeonfest. This and the back story makes Corwyn a rich world with "real" problems that we can experience/solve. The choices are ours to make and the world/game adapts/evolves around us. This is what makes Corwyn special.

So - a rich story - which should not be hard with the amount of history available from previous Corwyn sessions.

An open story rather than following a single line (yes I know there might be some lines to follow - but its the choice of which line we take and when).

Gut feeling I think you should skip pathfinder (yes I do like pathfinder), if you feel the need to change the system go to 5E as there are less books than Pathfinder, a sound modern system and much simpler rule system (currently 3 core books which are easy to buy and loads of fan created items and 3rd party published material). 5E is a strong system and looking at the number of online games played it is currently the most popular. But 3.5 would be great still - do not feel the need to change because you feel you should.

Other factors you should consider is - do you need a break on Fantasy - if yes, then run something else and take a few years to create Phase 3 - the only thing is the longer you leave it, 3.5 will become less played. Or you could take a break and just play for a while.

Regarding story - skip the early levels or put a fast track to capture the characters feel. If you do decide 5E, I would suggest skip 1st at all cost as its pretty fatal - the monsters hit hard and can easily 1 shot a 1st level character/party. Or just have 1st level as role playing with a few skill checks and award xp based on that to get to 2nd level.

One thing that is not played often is the higher levels. Existing or new characters ???
Colin Buckler
Committee Member

Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be.
Rush - Losing It

Return to “RPG General Discussion”